Program Eligibility Specialist I,II
Company: Community Action Partnership of San Luis Obispo
Location: San Luis Obispo
Posted on: October 8, 2019
Wednesday, September 4, 2019
Community Action Partnership of San Luis Obispo County is committed
to eliminating the causes of poverty by empowering low-income
individuals and families to achieve self-sufficiency through a wide
array of community-based collaborations and programs.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Plan
CAPSLO offers benefits through a group medical, dental, vision,
flexible spending account, life and AD&D insurance program.
CAPSLO pays the full amount (100%) of the premiums to cover
full-time (regular, seasonal, and limited term) employees. Eligible
employees may elect, at their own cost, to have medical, dental and
vision insurance coverage for their dependents. Additionally,
CAPSLO offers a Long Term Disability ("LTD") insurance program.
Retirement Savings Plan
CAPSLO offers eligible employees the opportunity to contribute a
portion of their earnings to a Section 403(b) Retirement Plan.
Full-time employees are 100% vested upon enrollment into the plan.
CAPSLO matches 60% of every dollar contributed up to an annual
maximum of 15% of your annual salary (not to exceed IRS
Twelve paid holidays* and one paid Personal Holiday during the
course of each calendar year.
CAPSLO awards 80-160 hours of vacation annually with a maximum
accrual of 320 hours, depending on years of service. Paid Sick time
is accrued at 8 hours per month with a maximum accrual of 280
CAPSLO offers additional benefits including employee assistance
program (EAP), reduced rates for pet insurance, reduced rates for
cellular phone service, reduced rates for car rentals, workers'
compensation insurance, and additional time off for positions
classified as exempt.
The Program Eligibility Specialist (PES) will determine initial and
continued eligibility for state and federally funded programs. The
PES establishes and maintains a trusting relationship with families
who receive early education and care services. The PES responds to
requests and inquiries from the centers, parents, providers, and
maintains verification of initial and on-going documentation for
those enrolled. Eligibility positions are most suited to persons
who enjoy paperwork, are detailed oriented and can work accurately
with numbers. The ability to get along well with the public and the
ability to organize and work with minimum supervision is essential.
Supports CAPSLO's mission by ensuring that the State Child
Development program is properly run by maintaining relationships
with families and child care providers.
Responsibilities & Duties:
1. Implements all regulations and assures that methods of operation
are within state and federal regulations.
2. Acts on information received from intra/inter agency sources
that pertain to accessing quality services.
3. Maintains knowledge of federal, state, and local legislation
affecting the department determines its impact and takes
Intake/Application & Case Management:
4. Conducts face to face and over the phone interviews with
applicants to determine eligibility. Informs client of regulatory,
documentation and verification requirements.
5. Completes initial certification and recertification
6. Processes needs and eligibility requests from parents.
7. Prepares childcare contracts, sends Notice of Action, and
Requests for Eligibility Verification.
8. Maintains files and assures that required documentation is on
9. Communicates information promptly to appropriate staff regarding
enrollment changes, child placement changes, legal issues, etc.
Notifies parents and provides of program revisions so that they
remain in compliance with regulation affecting their eligibility
for continued child care subsidy.
10. Attends internal and external meetings as approved and assigned
for the purpose of family eligibility.
11. May assist in the completion of waitlists application as needed
due to staffing needs at the center level.
12. Performs specific mathematical computations that pertain to
13. Enters data into an approved software program.
14. Maintains current data for assigned caseload and providers
15. Files and maintains documents in both physical and electronic
16. Collects and maintains data to be used in preparation of
fiscal, program, and audit reports.
17. Completes weekly program stats report.
18. Sends reports to service options (centers, and family child
19. Processes attendance in accordance to policy and regulation for
20. Completes corrections provided by the Program Eligibility
21. Follows up on the Daily Absence Logs and reviews its
22. Issues Center and FCCHEN attendance Registers
23. Prepare and sends Best Interest Day, Unexcused Absence
24. Follows up with assigned centers and Family Child Care for
excessive and unexcused absence compliance.
25. Completes the monthly program attendance for ongoing
self-assessment for the assigned caseload.
26. Prepares parent fee billings on a monthly basis for assigned
27. Prepares and submits parent fee billing reports
28. Issues Delinquent parent fee NOAs and follows up to ensure
continued funding and enrollment
29. Educates families on parent fee process and child care
30. Performs other duties as assigned.
Additional Responsibilities & Duties (Program Eligibility
31. Attends training (statewide meetings, regional meetings, etc.)
to improve program delivery and quality.
32. Provides education about subsidy programs at appropriate
workshops, conferences, and meetings, as needed.
33. Audits and reviews file to assure compliance with program
34. Takes a leadership role in training and assisting new
35. Solves complex problems requiring detailed analysis related to
36. Reviews department procedures and recommends efficiencies to
the department supervisor as appropriate.
37. Enrollment, Eligibility, & Parent Fee Projects
Minimum Educational and Experience Requirements:
Two years of education and/or experience in Child Development,
Social Science, Psychology, Human Development, Liberal Studies, or
related field and one year work experience in client casework
and/or client eligibility setting. An Associate's Degree is
Combination of related education and/or experience equal to five
years performing administrative functions, case management,
eligibility determinations, and/or related field. One of the years
must be experience working as a Program Eligibility Specialist I or
experience equivalent to performing eligibility determinations
under a California Department of Education regulation. A Bachelor's
Degree is preferred.
Note: Promotion from one level to the next is contingent on job
duties performed, needs of the program and approval by the
appropriate authorities. There is no automatic promotion on the
basis of meeting the minimum educational and experience
requirements listed above.
1. Must be flexible to work out of different offices as needed.
2. Must be able to maintain computer documents and database
spreadsheets. Must be computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft
Word and Excel, access, and publisher.
3. Must be able to manage multiple tasks successfully.
4. Must get along well with the public.
5. Must have interpersonal skills, emphasizing listening and
6. Must be able to relate well to all people of the community
regardless of color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy,
age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, disability
or socio-economic level.
7. Must be organized, self-motivated, and able to work with minimum
8. Must be able to perform accurate mathematical calculations
including: adding, subtracting, dividing, averaging, and
9. Must be able to maintain accurate records, compile reports of
10. Must be a team player and be flexible to changes in procedure
11. Must be emotionally mature, stable, and tactful.
12. Must be able to maintain client confidentiality.
13. Must be able to apply sound judgment in decision-making.
14. Must be able to operate a calculator and other office
15. Must have dependable, insured transportation and valid CA
driver's license (mileage to be reimbursed) and acceptable driving
record. A DMV printout and proof of insurance will be required.
16. Must complete a health screening and TB skin test or chest
x-ray prior to beginning employment.
17. Must use reasonable precautious in performance of one's duties
and adherer to all applicable safety rules and practices; an act in
such a manner as to assure at all times maximum safety to one's
self, fellow employees, clients and children.
18. Employment is contingent upon meeting all job requirements and
background requirements: criminal history check, education
verification, acknowledgment or child abuse reporting
responsibility, criminal record statement, etc. Employment is
contingent upon receiving a clearance from appropriate
19. Must understand, uphold, and continue working toward
accomplishing the mission, strategic goals and performance measure
of the agency.
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
Position requires intermittent sitting, standing, walking,
twisting, and bending. Must be able to lift 30 pounds. Simple
grasping and hand manipulation required, as well as reaching above
and below shoulder level. Requires working indoors in a
temperature-controlled environment with some exposure to copier and
For questions regarding the application process or open positions,
contact the Recruiting Department at 805-544-4355.
EOE/ V/ ADA/ Drug Free Workplace/ Asset Infused OrganizationWe are
an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against
applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, religion, national
origin, veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
CAPSLO Mission, Vision and Core Values
Regular Full Time
Min Hiring Rate
Max Hiring Rate
Keywords: Community Action Partnership of San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo , Program Eligibility Specialist I,II, Other , San Luis Obispo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!